Copped Hall Summary
- Address: Crown Hill, Upshire Road, Epping, CM16 5HS (Map)
- Tel: +44 (0)20 7267 1679
- Owner: Copped Hall Trust
- Administrator: Alan Cox
- E-mail: Click here to contact
- Website: Go to the Copped Hall website
Copped Hall Description
Recorded history at Copped Hall starts in the 12th century when there was already a substantial building on the site. At that time Copped Hall belonged to the Fitzaucher family who served the King as huntsmen.
In 1564 Queen Elizabeth I granted Copped Hall to her close friend - Sir Thomas Heneage. Almost immediately he started to rebuild the mansion – incorporating part of the old house in the south west corner. The building was complete by 1568 when Queen Elizabeth came to stay.
The new mansion was 'U' shaped in plan and arranged around a symmetrical open courtyard. A single storey covered corridor connected the outstretched wings. Entry was from the north – where a large enclosed carriage turning-circle was constructed.
In 1739 Edward Conyers purchased the Elizabethan Copped Hall from Sir Thomas Webster who had owned it since 1701. Edward Conyers only enjoyed the house for three years before dying in 1742. Edward Conyers son, John, inherited the property and considered repairing it as it had become dilapidated.
However, John Conyers moved in cultural circles and wanted to express the latest architectural ideas of the day which were incompatable with living in the old house. Plans for a PalIadian mansion were drawn up by his architect - John Sanderson. Assisting with these ideas were Sir Roger Newdigate and another architect – Thomas Prowse. Very grand proposals were were produced a main block with a vast dome, a portico and attached curved colonnades leading to symmetrical pavilions. In the end only the main block was built - on a different site to the Elizabethan mansion. It was completed by 1758. Fragments of the Elizabethan house were retained and a rock garden was created in part of the cellars.
During the war, in 1917, the main eighteenth century block of Copped Hall was largely burnt-out in a disasterous fire one Sunday morning. Much of the contents were saved by many items were also lost. The family moved to Wood House on the estate which had been built by Ernest Wythes towards the end of the 19th century. The move was supposed to be temporary but in the end Mr Wythes never rebuilt Copped Hall.
Copped Hall became a developer's dream. Large scale schemes were proposed again and again. After many battles against such proposals, the parkland was saved by the Corporation of London who purchased it in 1992. The specially formed Copped Hall Trust saved the mansion and gardens by purchasing these in 1995.
Apart from the extensive gardens there is a 4 acre Walled Garden which is in cultivation.
The Friends of Copped Hall Trust was set up in 1998 to enable people who cared about Copped Hall to support the Trust and its objectives. Since then the Friends have made a substantial contribution to both the restoration process and also to fund raising.
Throughout the year the Trust holds a series of Events as part of a very full programme, and organises special Open Days at Copped Hall.
Opening Times - 2012
Mansion & Gardens:
- First Sunday of each month from April to September (2 - 5 pm, last entry 4 pm, tours last, 2.5 - 3 hours
- Third Sunday of each month (in December, second Sunday), open from 10 am - 11 am, tours last, 2.5 - 3 hours
- Please note that disabled access is limited
- First Sunday of each month from (March - September inclusive). 2 - 5 pm (last entry at 4 pm)
Admission Prices - 2012
House and gardens:
- Adult - £7.00
- Seniors - £7.00
- Group - £7.00
- Adult - £3.50
Groups Welcome (minimum 20 people).
Your Reviews of Copped Hall
Irene Reeve (22 February 2014)
One of the two historical murals designed and painted in 1989 by Irene Reeve for the foyer of Epping District Council Offices, Epping, is showing an excerpt from Shakespeare's 'A. Midsummer Nights Dream' almost certainly written for the wedding celebrations and first performed on the night of the wedding ceremony of Sir Thomas Heneage and the Countess of Southampton at Copped Hall in 1594.
Linda (23 September 2013)
I am so pleased and love the fact that people who lived on the estate have got in touch as it really adds to the history of the good work that is being done to bring Copped Hall back from a ruin.
Additional Info for Copped Hall
- Dogs allowed
- Disabled Access
- Live Entertainment
- Car Parking
- Historic Houses Association
Updating this Home
If you are the owner or manager of this property, now is your chance to update your information. In your interests, updates are checked to ensure that no incorrect information is entered from an unauthorised source.