Refine your search
Selected stately homes
Llancaiach Fawr Manor stands proudly, as it has done since c1550, overlooking the Glamorgan Uplands. Step inside the Manor House restored and furnished as it would have been in 1645. All the furnishings in the rooms are accurate reproductions of items from the time of the Prichards
Llancaiach Fawr Manor was built originally in 1530 on the site where there stood an earlier medieval castle.
Colonel Edward Pritchard changed his allegiance in 1645 from the Royalist to the Parliamentarian cause and completely redecorated the interior of the castle. Once you step into the castle, it looks just like it did back in 1645 - time stands still. During the day, you can enjoy a tour with servants dressed in period costumes, giving you all the gossip about the area, the master himself and of course any events that may be happening in the area.
However, once darkness falls, the real residents of Llancaiach Fawr Manor make their appearance. Touring in search of the ghosts that remain here is a popular tourist attraction during the winter months. Stated by paranormal investigators Llancaiach Fawr Manor is one of the most atmospheric and eeriest castles in the area.
CLOSED MONDAYS (except Bank Holidays).
Last admission to the house is 1 hour before closing. Please allow at least 1½ hours to see the house and additional time to view the gardens and exhibition.
Admission to the Visitor Centre shop, café/ restaurant, exhibition and gardens is free but for some Special Events in the Barn, Education Centre, Courtyard or on the Meadow a small fee may be payable to cover materials or extra activities.
ST 113966 51.66115 -3.28376
From M4 motorway leave at junction 32 and follow the A470 towards Merthyr Tydfil. Approximately 12 miles (after passing Services) turn right at the roundabout signposted A472 Ystrad Mynach and follow the brown historic building signs through Nelson village.
From A465 Heads of the Valley road turn onto the A470 towards Cardiff. Follow this road past Merthyr Tydfil and turn left at the roundabout signposted A472 Ystrad Mynach. Follow the brown historic building signs through Nelson village.
: 2 miles from Pengam station
- Baby changing facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Disabled toilets
- Education/study area
- Facilities for groups
- Facilities for educational visits
- Gift shop
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Public toilets
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Welcome Host
- Wheelchairs available
- Accepts groups
- Facilities for conferencing
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Children welcome
- Disabled access
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Smoking not allowed
- Venue approved for civil marriage
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking provided for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is:
- Solid ie tarmac / concrete etc
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Flat (ie without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to restaurant / cafe
- Level access (ie no steps or thresholds), or access by ramp or lift to the toilets
- Level access (ie no steps or thresholds) or access by ramp to a specially adapted toilet for wheelchair users
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Contrast markings on clear surfaces such as glass doors
- Menus available in large print (14pt and over)
- Restaurant / cafe provide meals for visitors with special dietary requirements:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliacs)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Low potassium
- Low sodium
- Nut free
- Baby changing facilities
- Restaurant / café well lit and suitable for people with sight impairments
- Seating suitable for wheelchair users, ie moveable and good height for person sitting in a wheelchair
- High chairs for children
- Children's menu
- Audible alarm system
- Entrance is well lit
- Automatic door at the main entrance
Please advise of any dietary requirements on booking.